6.24.2010

Delicatus!


(friendly note: As those of you who read my blog know, I have a tendency to be all over the map (subjectively speaking). I appreciate your tolerance of this fact since I am, after all, wayward and full of whimsy...that's why you love me, right?)



I've been working downtown for just over one week and, having the proclivity for dining out that I do, am already discovering that this will prove to be problematic for both my waistline and my pocketbook. Minor details... If I AM going to the poorhouse (or Dress Barn as the case may be), I might as well document my Caligulan efforts along the way.


I got wind of Delicatus from my friend Brian-- He mentioned it was a new sandwich joint in Pioneer Square that was comparable to Salumi. Loving cured meats (and Salumi) as much as I do, I knew I needed to check out this restaurant forthwith. At 11am I perused the menu and called in my order so that I might avoid any lengthy lunchtime queues. (http://www.delicatusseattle.com/menu.aspx)


After reading the menu, I was obsessed. I thought to myself that I must go there for lunch. Every. Single. Day. (And for the rest of my life.)

Delicatus prides itself on quality, local and artisan ingredients. With that fact in mind, $8 for a sandwich seemed pretty reasonable to me. The menu ranges from traditional sandwiches to more Avant Garde selections (as they refer to the choices on their menu: "Traditionalists" and "Progressives"). On that particular day, I chose the Pavo Diablo, which consisted of hickory smoked turkey, sliced avocado, spinach, cilantro, havarti, spicy chipotle aioli and roasted poblano peppers on sourdough bread. Included with each sandwich is a side of home made potato chips (which could be switched up for cole slaw or potato salad for less than one dollar...).

Finally, the time had arrived for me to procure the aforementioned sandwich. I strolled a few blocks and arrived at my destination. Nestled next to the Rocky Mountain Candy Company, Delicatus blends in to its surroundings. It is totally charming and combines that elusively cool brand of historical meets timeless, yet careless, chic.

Upon entering, I was greeted by a friendly staff and welcoming space. Delicatus features seating both up and downstairs. Tucked away in the corner of the restaurant I noticed a cozy, unoccupied bar. I made a mental note to return with Brian as soon as possible.

Once I paid my bill and snapped a few pics, I all but ran back to the office. The smells issuing forth from my brown paper bag were dizzying and overwhelming. Unfortunately, due to my ravenous appetite, the sandwich didn't survive long enough for its mugshot. But trust me. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice!