6.21.2010

the journey begins...

I just washed the city off of my feet-- spending a good five minutes scrubbing off the sediment from traversing downtown Seattle. Having comfortably ensconced myself in the bucolic commute to Issaquah, I had forgotten the grittiness of the city. But it was waiting for me: unchanged and unforgiving.

Today, I was born. I woke up kind of confused and numb- immediately realizing how familiar my life had become and how much we (at least I) appreciate that familiarity. I began my new job in a field that I've always hoped to be in, but I'm still scared senseless nonetheless. I thought for sure by now I ought to know who I am. And I do, I suppose- but when I cast myself into a situation where everything is completely foreign I start second guessing my every move. Am I still clever? Am I still sharp enough to learn new things?

I'd have been a perfect candidate for communism this morning: I was a complete and utter blank slate. I was outside of my wheelhouse and I felt every moment, every breath and every horn around me. As I stood waiting for the bus, a task which I've somehow managed to avoid my entire 29 years, I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb. People just knew I was an interloper- I was sure of it. I blanked on the order of city streets, which I used to know so well. What if I miss my stop? What if I wind up in Fife, or something?

I didn't. The siren song of Starbucks sang out to me from the glorious corner of First and Yesler. I understood my purpose and my direction: a Grande Soy Misto with two raw sugars. I held it in front of myself like a security blanket. It legitimized me. It meant I was where I was supposed to be. Three blocks later, I arrived at my building. Without a moment's hesitation, I opened the door, walked through and strode to the elevator with purpose. If I look like I know the score, people will believe me. Right?

The world of my new company is the absolute antithesis of my previous place of employment. It is young, hip, intellectual, liberal, warm, and fun. There is Pabst in the fridge- it's like they knew I was coming.

The day was rife with learning and introductions-- and I had to constantly remind myself not to question my every move. For the time being I'm just going to sit tight, enjoy the ride and keep on looking straight ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice!