2.18.2010

30 Day Challenge! A fresh perspective

Day 22- February 17th

“Oh my gosh, it’s so dark in here I’m going to pee my pants!” chirped Penni as she bounded into the blackness of the studio right before class was to begin. This quip had me burst into laughter and I began to look forward to practice with a giddy lightheartedness. As Penni stood on the podium, cheerfully explaining pranayama deep breathing to the three newbies, I happened to notice a long thread on her bum. Being the dedicated student that I am, once she had completed her instruction I delicately plucked the offending strand off her person and she erupted in a fit of giggles.

Her laughter was just what I needed for practice that night. I was surrounded by fellow yogis and friends (Lauren was there! Yay!) all with the same ultimate goal: health and happiness. Penni’s effervescent voice lifted me above the sea of everyone’s breath and I remembered at that moment what I had forgotten as a result of being entrenched in my routine: This is supposed to be FUN! Though I must complete my challenge I should not look at this as being obligatory or arduous because that’s a negative and exhausting perspective. As Jenn often says, “It’s yoga, people.” Sure, it’s never going to be easy, but going in with excitement and a positive attitude makes the 90 minutes much more fun.

Having said that, the similarities between the microcosm in which I live and the greater picture again come to mind. It continues to amaze me as I make my way through this journey how many lessons I’ve learned standing on my yoga mat for 90 minutes a day. I’m certainly not enlightened yet….but I feel like I’m getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice!