2.12.2010

30 Day Challenge- Rays of light.


Day 16- February 11th

NPR wafts gently throughout the confines of my car and I listen desolately to the weather report.

Today’s forecast: rain and clouds.

Tomorrow’s forecast:…..rain….and clouds.

Sunday’s forecast: More of the same.

It’s as though I’m driving through the moors of Scotland. A soft and thick fog, like that which precedes the arrival of a pirate ship, envelops my car and carries me gently to Issaquah. I’m ferried along, discouraged and disoriented by the darkness cast over me like a thick, woolen blanket.

So I search for my solace, my sunshine elsewhere: within me, within my friends, and within my studio, with much success. Day 16 offered a lemony burst of warmth that brightened my day more than any amount of sunshine could ever possibly hope to do.

During Padahastasana, in which you fold yourself in half like a grilled cheese sandwich, I pulled on my feet with such vim that I heard a dull, disconcerting POP in my hip bone, as though a giant, cardboard piece of bubble wrap was bursting. My body disjointedly responded by lurching forward and even though I was able to achieve the maximum expression of the posture, I felt like a rickety wagon wheel whilst doing so. Even still, I smiled to myself. My mind and body are becoming great buddies: communicating and agreeing on what they need to do. They’ve become a team. Sometimes disagreeing with each other, but ultimately working to achieve the same goal: happiness, health and wellness. And flexibility too.


Having read an article by Mary Jarvis earlier on in the day, in which she boasted the importance of not consuming water during practice, I decided to have my hand at this endeavor which was lofty considering I often rely on icy fluids as a source of solace and comfort. I managed to make it until the end of the standing series, by which point I was longing to embrace the glistening coolness of my frozen bottle. Since there was little melt-off to imbibe, I attempted to fill it up but as a result of the intense humidity hovering above us, the water queue was considerable. Lisa cautioned that we would miss savasana so instead of waiting I plopped back on my mat with resignation. Five minutes later, she passed by, swept up my bottle, and filled it to the brim. I certainly wasn’t expecting such a treat but felt luminous as a result of her kindness.

I was light at the end of practice: wrung out, sweat-soaked, exhausted and content. Once in the changing room, I checked my phone and saw an email from my yoga buddy Jen in which she was applauding my fortitude and telling me I was amazing, a rock star, a stud.

14 days remain, and I'm aglow with excitement- despite the rain and clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice!