2.10.2010

30 Day Challenge....2 weeks in and I'm waving, not drowning

I have a heavy rotation of fluids littering my desk (Earl Grey, Matcha, an Americano, ice water, and energy water) but I feel like I would be better off with an IV. My arms hang heavily at my sides, my hands like bowling balls mashing against my key pad. A vapid fatigue flits over my body in dull pulsing waves. This has been the longest two weeks of my entire life, which I find strange considering this challenge only comprises 6.25% of every day or 9% of my waking hours.

Despite my current exhaustive state, day 14 was a great success. Many things were at play in making it so but the fluidity with which I practiced gave me the encouragement I needed so desperately to carry on.

My friend and co-worker Lauren accompanied me today, which also helped give me the motivation necessary to get to practice. We met at the front desk and I showed her around, securing two side by side spots in the middle row, adjacent to the instructor’s podium. She had done Bikram in LA, but was anxious to see how her body behaved since it had been a few years.

I felt so at home—so in my wheelhouse—and was incredibly grateful one of my co-workers had the chance to see that. Despite my whining and complaining, this is what I long to do. Suzanne, a gorgeous, limber and ever-so-sage instructor of mine noted that my eyes were glowing when I ran into her outside the changing room. I immediately boasted that it was the 30 day challenge and she wholeheartedly agreed.

Aside from seeing Lauren’s bright blue saucer eyes staring at herself in the front mirror with a laser beam focus, I had another little boost from my yoga bag of tricks that I’ve been using lately: my water bottle, but not in the way one might suspect. I freeze one of my two water bottles every night in order to have a nice glacial hunk of ice with which to hydrate during class. By the time I reach the floor series, this miniature glacier is adrift in a sea of crisp, divine, deliciously wet eau de vie. The bottle rests on its side next to me and as I am on my belly, staring straight at it, I begin to envision the tiniest version of myself, unfettered from reality, drifting in the water in a state of pure unadulterated bliss. This diminutive carefree pixie smiles calmly at me and gently coos “You’ll be fine. Take it easy. Life is peaches.” It sounds a little silly, but it helps.

My instructors often chant “Your body can do this. It’s your mind that needs the work,” and I’m finding that to be 100% true. The physical challenges have become easier and easier though my mind is becoming increasingly more adverse so I implement these little tricks and hope to float along.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice!